Cooking, Sewing, Working, Traveling, Gardening and Pondering

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

~Winston Churchill~

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beach Bag !

I have been slipping off to the beach a lot this year. You see it is right over there from where I am...like literally less than 2 miles from where I am sitting at this very moment. This has been great, get a little sun, get a little relaxation, get my zen on.

However, I have come to discover how hard it is to find the right beach bag. Truly hard - even here at the beach. You find one that looks good, but then it traps sand in it, find one that is mesh but then all your goods are on display for all those thieving fingers. Straps too narrow, straps not strong enough, you name it.

I am formulating an idea for a pattern. The bottom and bottom only will be mesh/netting. The bottom will be squared off to stand up right - maybe even with some of that plastic canvas used for needle point to give it stand up base yet letting sand pass through. The bag is large enough for a beach towel to be rolled up on one side, 2 inside zipper pockets sewn in and then a matching zippered pouch and a water bottle. Straps long enough to allow over the shoulder carrying, not to girlie, not to masculine in style. Just good old functionality.

Let me see what I can come up with...

4 comments:

Karen said...

Can't wait!!!!

Denise said...

Wow! That sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see it either!

Regena said...

I've seen something close somewhere...you could definitely change out some of the fabrics and such to make it your own.....where did I see it?????

jillytacy said...

Can't wait to see what you create!
Check out this screen bag on ETSY, my friend Barb makes them. The bottom is screen and farther up the top is screen as well. It sounds like you want something a little bigger but this might give you an idea. http://www.etsy.com/listing/37725229/ladies-screen-bag