Cooking, Sewing, Working, Traveling, Gardening and Pondering

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

~Winston Churchill~

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Art Quilts

Yes, yes I know I am not yet a quilter. Yes, I do not yet know enough. So this is exactly why I've chosen to bite off more than I can chew. Typical Amy Style. One day maybe I will learn what "boundries" mean. On Friday, I stopped by JoAnns for a little decompression time after sitting in traffic. While there, I found this book called "Photo-Inspired Art Quilts" by Leni Levenson Wiener. I had the coupon from my iphone App for 50% but low and behold the book was on sales for $8.99! Gotta love a bargin. Well in the book is also a DVD which I watched this morning. I took notes. I looked at the picture that's been hanging over my sewing machine for close to 2 years now. I watched the video again, i looked at the photo. I looked at the big Epson R1800 printer that I have yet to install in almost 3 years. I looked and then I began.

Printer needs cartridges because they had DRIED up it's been so long since I used it. Luckily I had some spares and loads of paper. I followed the instructions for dividing the photo into quadrants and then enlarging, etc. Then I moved on to the tracing. That is how far I've gotten. Next will be making the pattern pieces and find the fabric. I still need to figure out what the Rules of Value are and find some sort of Ruby gel viewer...




I've had to tape my tracing paper together to get it to size I want. Right now the quilt is planned to be 24in x 18 in.

4 comments:

Regena said...

go bog or go home!! You go girl!!

Karen said...

I love it! I think just the fact that you haven't done this before is exactly the reason it's going to be amazing! (could it be that you were drawn to this particular book because the author is a "weiner"?.....just sayin :)

jillytacy said...

I noticed the "weiner" connection too! I think this will be an amazing quilt and quite an adventure. I can't wait to see your progress!

Denise said...

My dad has a truck just like that sitting in his side yard....